We checked in and they sent us up to labor and delivery. I got in my room and they gave me a robe and slippers to change into (so flattering). Here I am sporting my P.E. maternity clothes.
Spencer was kind and gave me his headphones. I listened to some tunes while they got me started on Pitocin. I was set at the lowest level for about an hour or two, and then they bumped me up all the way to a 12. 20 is the highest (I think). The doctor came in and broke my water at about 11am. I was dilated to about a 4 by that point. I didn't need the epidural until after he broke my water. With Autumn I got my water broken after the epidural, so I never knew what it felt like. This time there was a TON of water and it was really warm. My contractions got pretty intense and I was in a lot of pain. I asked for the doctor to order the epidural. They said he was at a different hospital and might not be there for a little while (No!). Luckily he was still there and he came right in. This time the epidural was pretty painful! I didn't remember it hurting that bad before. It took about 20 minutes for it to take its full effect but once it did I was feeling pretty good! The doctor (Dr. Allen-amazing doctor by the way!) said he expected the baby to be here by 2 or 3 in the afternoon. I did not believe him at all, seeing as how Autumn took forever to come. Boy was I wrong!
Spencer was pretty chill as usual and worked on some Calculus 2 homework. He was pretty nervous he would get behind in his classes and so was I. He actually did very well considering we just had a baby. The hardest part was not getting any sleep for the next few weeks. The nurses I had were amazing. I was able to share with them all of my wants, needs, and worries. I wanted to take things slow and not speed things up unnecessarily. Breaking my water ended up being a great decision because it sped things up really fast. I took a nap, checked my phone, texted my family a little bit, and then before I knew it I was dilated to an 8! I TRULY couldn't believe it! My body knew exactly what to do once the pitocin started. They turned off the Pitocin and let things progress on their own from that point on. The epidural started to wear off so I gave myself one more boost right before I started pushing. Before I knew it, the nurse checked me and called the doctor in. He was somewhere else earlier so I was really glad he was there. He predicted I would have the baby by around 1 or 2 and he was right!
I am intrigued by the whole birthing process so I like to have a mirror and get a front row seat to what is going on. I know that grosses some people out watching it all happen but I think it is fascinating. I guess that's the health teacher in me :) This time they put my legs in the stirrups instead of holding them up with their arms. Spencer was right there by my side and really didn't have to do a whole lot since the baby was coming so fast. I could FEEL little Jacob's head really really low and that was then they told me to push! WHAT WHY WOAH HOW?!! I expected things to go so much SLOOOWER since that is what happened with Autumn. Who knew delivering a baby could be fairly easy and quick? Autumn's birth from first contraction to end was 44 hours long. This was definitely shorter (and nicer). I gave a good hard push and they told me to stop. Then we waited for another contraction and I gave another hard push and then!!!! They said STOOOOOP! I was like "what i thought I am supposed to push really really hard!" Apparently he was crowning and nearly out and they didn't want me to tear. At that point I couldn't see the mirror anymore because Dr. Allen's head was in the way. Before I knew it he was pulling the baby out and I had a BEAUTIFUL, SWEET, TINY HEAVENLY BABY ON MY CHEST. I CRIED from happiness and felt INCREDIBLY BLESSED AND GRATTFUL. NEVER HAD I BEEN HAPPIER! MY BABY WAS HERE AND ALL WAS RIGHT WITH THE WORLD. He gave out a beautiful cry and I wrapped him up on my chest with a blanket while Spencer took lots of pictures and videos. I was on cloud 9 and wanted to make sure I was taking it all in as best I could. All those months of waiting, praying, expectations, and images of what this little boy would be like were all over and now I had my bundle of joy. I was so happy. Blissfully happy (and so glad it was over). The nurse asked us to guess his weight. I think I guessed over 8 pounds. Turns out he was 8 pounds, 1 ounce and 19.5 inches long. We named him Jacob Spencer Bagley and I'm still so happy we did. We weren't official on the middle name until later that night. I wanted to make sure Spencer really wanted it and not just because I liked it. I LOVE the name Spencer. I would have named him that if Spencer would have let me. Hehe. The name Jacob did not come from anywhere specifically. We both really liked the name and liked that it was biblical, and felt like it is a strong, solid name. Common, but not TOO common. I don't plan on calling him Jake. I just really love JACOB. It's PERFECT for him.
I believe Spencer texted immediate family and said he was born with a cute picture. I love the pictures that were taken at that sweet moment! Here are some of my favorites :)
I could not have chosen a more perfect spouse to share this life with. I love him with all of my heart. He is the best dad and so supportive of my every need. This becomes more and more evident the more children we have. I could not have done any of this without his love and comforting presence.
Proud and HAPPY parents of our beautiful baby boy!!
We got a screamer on our hands :)
Newborn snuggles
Great nurses and doctors! I love AF hospital
First father/son photo! So cute!
Attempting the HEISMAN. As if he did all the work! LOL
More hospital and newborn pics to follow! Thanks for reading!






















Julie..I loved this!! He is so beautiful and perfect...yay, for boys and for getting through another delivery! What an accomplishment...and blessing that he was SO much faster than Autumn. Anyway, that is one sweet little guy who is BEYOND lucky to have you and Spencer as parents, and a fun big sis like Autumn!
ReplyDeleteI love reading how it all happened! And I love that the second one was easier than the first!!! That's awesome!! He's so cute. The pictures are truly priceless, ones you will all treasure forever. So glad you shared! Love that little guy and wish I got to see him more often! And from your Instagram post about Brayden almost being TWO - I KNOW! Time doesn't make sense anymore. It's all in fast forward and there's no stopping it. It seems like a MONTH ago that Jed and I were taking pictures like that of Brayden! Snuggle that baby and take a million pictures! You know what a special time this is!!!!
ReplyDelete