Pages

Thursday, May 24

Autumn's Birth Story

Baby Autumn has finally arrived and we are so incredibly happy! 
She is the most perfect little angel I have ever met. She was born at 4:50am on Tuesday April 17th. I was in  labor for 44 hours! It was the longest labor ever! Here is a picture of me 2 days before I went into labor.


My mom Connie came to stay with me 9 days before the baby was actually born. We were able to go to the Tulip Festival together at Thanksgiving Point one of the days she was here. It was raining the entire time, but I loved it! The flowers are so beautiful there! She was a big help to Spencer and I when she was in town. Love you mom!


Autumn's Birth Story

I woke up on Sunday morning and did not sleep very well that night. I started having contractions around 9am and they continued until I had the baby Tuesday morning. My contractions were about 5-10 minutes apart most of the day. I took a shower in the morning and my mom and Spencer cleaned up the house and got everything packed and ready to go. My midwife told me to wait until they were 3-5 minutes apart before I went into the hospital. Spencer and I went on a couple of walks to pass the time. The pain from my contractions were about a 3-5 on a scale of 1-10. I continued to time my contractions and when they got about 3-5 minutes apart we headed for the hospital! I was so excited.

When I checked in the midwife checked me right away, hoping I was already at an 8, but alas I was only at a 2+. I could not believe it. I was so disappointed. They let me stick around the hospital for another 2 hours to see if anything had changed but it didn't. So the midwife Jen (I went through 3 midwives in 44 hours) offered to give me morphine to go home and sleep for the night. At this point I still wanted to have a natural labor so I was hesitant to take any medicine. I talked with my mom and Spencer about it and finally decided to take the shot and head home for the night. I was pretty disappointed that I had to go home. I really wanted to stay but after going home and getting some rest I am grateful I did AND grateful I took the morphine. I was able to sleep, somewhat restfully, even though I could still feel my contraction pain a little bit.


At the hospital the first time--a couple hours later I was sent home :(


I slept until about 11am the next morning. When I woke up my morphine had worn off and the contraction pain had gotten worse. The nurse said I shouldn't come in unless the contractions were 2-3 minutes apart and the pain was up to a 8 or 9. So I waited again until about 4 pm when I knew it was about time to go in.. So we packed up and the three of us got into the car and checked in. The nurse checked my cervix again and I was at a 4! Woo hoo! I felt so relieved that I had made some improvement at least. The nurses talked with the midwife and they said to officially admit me. We switched to the labor and delivery room! I was so excited. When we got into the room I immediately got into the jetted tub. It seriously felt so nice and helped me to relax during my contractions. The dumb nurse kept coming in to monitor the baby's heart beat and kept bugging me the whole night. Blah. I didn't want to see anyone other than my husband when I was in that much pain. At this point I had been feeling contractions for almost 30 hours and was seriously getting tired. My mom was there and she helped calm me down a lot, but my biggest help was Spencer. I knew I could count on him to tell him how much pain I was in. He helped me breathe and relax and I knew I could squeeze his hand whenever I needed to. My focus point was on the baby. The thought of her coming out of my body was such an exciting feeling. I knew that if I could just concentrate on her that everything would be fine. So I continued to wait it out. Several hours had passed so they checked my cervix again but I was only at a 5.5!!! I could not believe it. All those contractions to only be dilated to a 5.5!!! So the midwife (a new one) came in and talked to me about my options. I remember just minutes before telling Spencer that I really wanted to get an epidural because I was so miserable and wanted to just enjoy my labor and delivery. I didn't want to go back on my original plan of having her naturally, but you know how it goes...so much pain and knowing that it was only going to get worse did not sound fun to me. So the midwife started talking about the epidural and explained to me that it will give me the needed energy and rest to make it through the night. Plus if I didn't get it I might be too exhausted to push. In the back of my mind I was thinking "HALLELUJAH I CAN FINALLY GET SOME RELIEF". As soon as the decision was made to get it I was totally on board! The anesthesiologist came in pretty quickly and got things going really fast. He was from Blanding, Utah and was Hawaiin. He was my new best friend! Except he couldn't find the key to the medicine so I had to wait an extra 5 minutes. Luckily they found someone with the key and they prepared me for the epidural. Ya ya ya just give it to me! I was worried that they were going to stick me with a needle during a contraction but luckily they didn't. The epidural worked really fast. I was in heaven!!!! I could finally smile and enjoy myself. I was no longer grumpy and I actually wanted to see and talk to people including the nurses! It was incredible. Modern medicine baby!

Back at the hospital again! And feeling great after receiving the epidural
 






The Bagley family all wanted to come in and say hello! 




So I got my make up on, put on Gilmore Girls and was ready for the pitocin and the breaking of my waters. I was visited by Brad, Michelle, Christie, Ben, Hayden, Brandon, and Michael. And of course my mom, Dustin, and Laura were there the whole time. I got some great pictures with them. They visited about 8 o'clock and left shortly after.  They broke my waters first to see if anything was going to change but it didn't really change my cervix at all which was surprising, so they put me on the PIT. They put me on the lowest dose possible and after 1.5 hours I was dilated to a 9!! I was able to sleep and get some rest. At that point I was so exhausted...any sleep sounded like a good idea.When they checked my cervix I was really worried I hadn't dilated again. But when she said I was at a 9 I could not believe how happy I was! I feared more pitocin and eventually a C Section but I was also pretty confident that nothing was going to go wrong. At that point it was like 1 in the morning. They turned off the pitocin and let my body take over naturally. About an hour later I was fully dilated to a 10 and ready to push! The nurses were Jessica and Diane and they were totally awesome. The third midwife on call that night was Erica Nelson. I had only met with her one time during my check ups but I really liked her a lot when I did. She stayed in the room with me and we chatted for a little while. Everyone of my family members were so impressed with all of the midwives. And so was I. They have always been so helpful and informative.

 So I started to push during my contractions. I knew that the baby was going to come quickly because her head was already down so low. She had been down to a "0" station at my last appointment so I knew it wouldn't be very long to push her out. I pushed for about 30 minutes until we started to really see her head come out. At that point the mid wife said she needed to go see another patient at Mt. Timp hospital because that baby was in distress. I was so confused and upset! How could she be leaving now? Right when I see the head and we are so close to meeting our sweet baby! I thought it was so strange. She offered to have the doctor on call come in but I said it was OK since she would be back soon. She left and I slept for about an hour and a half. They said it is typical for the mom to stop pushing and let the body "rest and descend"--meaning letting your body push the baby out with contractions. So Erica came back and I started pushing again. The baby had come down a lot while I was resting and I could even feel her almost coming out. If I didn't have the epidural I think it would have been really hard to not want to push her out while I was waiting.

So 30 minutes later I was nearly there! The head kept popping out and back in...almost counter productive...but it finally came all the way out and before I knew it they were placing a beautiful 8 pound 9 oz. baby on my chest! I cried out of joy, exhaustion, but mostly joy and held my baby closely in my arms. It was the most beautiful moment of my life! I told Spencer to get the camera going but he already had it out and was taking pictures. Good boy. She was just perfect! Such beautiful features, such a beautiful cry. I could not believe she was already here! When they placed her on my chest they started wiping her off; she didn't have much to wipe off. Probably because she was so overdue. I feel like I got to hold her for a long time. They took her away to weigh her and get measurements, but other than that I was able to hold her a lot. They wrapped her up and put a cute blue and pink hat on her head. Spencer got to cut the umbilical cord...I didn't think they were going to let him do it.

I couldn't really see the baby very well because I was laying on my back. After a few minutes Spencer wanted to hold her and I got a better look. She had a pointy nose and a furrowed brow, with chubby cheeks. She was so cute! She was my baby and I was so in love! The nurse midwife said I had two 2nd degree tears so she stitched me all up which took forever. After they had everything (and everyone) cleaned up, I invited my mom and Dustin to come in and take a look at the babe! Dustin told me later that Spencer sent out a text when Autumn was born that said "And the child was born." Haha I can always count on Spence to make things funny. My mom and Dustin just fell in love with her! I couldn't believe they stayed over the entire night when Dustin had work the next day.


Seconds after she was born 






5 fingers!


Proud Dad!





My awesome nurses and midwife! 
 

Spencer was such a great support throughout the entire labor. 




Proud Grandma Connie and Unkie Dustie 


So happy! She is finally here! 



So happy and so in love with our little lamb 


Amazed at what we created together


So after everyone left they took the baby and Spencer down to the nursery to give her a bath and then the nurse helped me to the bathroom and then helped me to the postpartum room. I met Autumn in the nursery because I wanted to see her get her first bath! She was sooo good during her bath she didn't cry once. The baby next to us was SCREAMING! I felt so proud. Autumn then got her footprints taken and I headed off to my bed and requested some pain medicine.

Autumn Michelle Bagley 




Very first sponge bath 


Footprints...so tiny!


 I was already feeling the epidural wear off and really wanted to be able to sleep! A little while later Spencer and Autumn came in and we all slept for a good 4 hours. It felt so nice to sleep! When I woke up I ordered room service. Who knew I could eat so much food? I totally lived it up and ordered as much food as I possibly could without them complaining. It was awesome and I did it the whole time I was there. Hehe. So in the afternoon my photographer came down to take newborn hospital pictures. I am so glad she did because Autumn changed so much from her newborn pictures we took at 3 and a half weeks to the hospital pictures. Soon after Amy arrived, Laura and Dustin arrived and also got to be in the hospital photo shoot. My mom came later that night and they all just enjoyed seeing the baby so much!

In the new room...so exhausted and ready for sleep!


Aunt Laura


I love her little scrunched up face


I LOVE these pictures of the baby and Grandma Connie 






That night Autumn slept in our room and I wish she hadn't because I hardly got any sleep! Breastfeeding was a challenge at first...and continued to be a challenge for the next couple weeks but luckily it has become so much easier and I totally love doing it now. The lactation nurse came a couple times to help out and the regular nurses kept coming in while I was trying to sleep...so annoying! The next day was sort of a blur but we were cleared by the doctor to go home. Spencer had math class at 8am so he was gone for about 2 hours and shortly returned after that. We were both so sleep deprived because Autumn was up most of the night. I finally asked the nurses to take the baby out of the room for a couple of hours so I could get some sleep. Unfortunately that didn't last long because she got hungry a couple hours later. Oh well :) 

After we got everything packed up, organized, and ready to go the nurses came in one more time to give us a final lesson on baby care after we go home. American Fork Hospital did a fantastic job. I felt so comfortable there and I felt like we were taken very good care of. I ordered room service one last time (of course) and then we got baby Autumn in her car seat and headed out! 


Go Cougars! This is the very first outfit Grandma Michelle bought for Autumn. We bought this little BYU attire even before we knew she was a girl. Somehow, we were both confident she would be a girl. A few days later we found out we were right! 


Getting ready to head home! 


Our new family
Spencer, Julie, and Autumn Bagley


The Nursery and Spence excited to finally be leaving!


It was an incredible first birth experience for us. I feel so lucky and blessed to have a beautiful healthy baby. I wouldn't have changed anything about my experience. Even though it was a really long labor, I feel like everything went how it was supposed to go and that Heavenly Father was watching out for me and my baby. It was definitely a long pregnancy, and at times I was super sick and uncomfortable, but in the end, when I held my baby in my arms and looked into her precious eyes, suddenly it wasn't about me anymore. It has always been about her! I love you Autumn!!!

6 comments:

  1. Such a sweet story and such an adorable baby! I'm so glad that breastfeeding got easier for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! She is beautiful, and you are a glowing mama.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Julie, what a great story! So very happy for you and Spencer! You are finding that being a Mom is the best job ever! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love birth stories. After three births without an epidural, I did tell the midwife within ten minutes of the last one being born that I think if there was a next one, I would have an epidural. It was so intense and different from the first two and I was so caught off guard. Plus the whole resting and not feeling pain thing does sound tempting. Way to go Julie! Modern medicine, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so cute, Julie. That baby girl is sure lucky to have you for her mom. Crazy story. Pretty sure my first labor was not that long . . . on the other hand I've had some preparatory "false" labor that stopped every time. :) It's fascinating to see how differently these all go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh goodness, reading baby stories makes me want another one, i know weird. congratulations!! sorry you had such a long labor. Glad everyone is healthy and happy.

    ReplyDelete