Wednesday, July 1
Rescue Mission-Salt Lake
Late last night I decided I wanted to do some service around the community. I decided to look on line and I found this website: http://www.rescuesaltlake.org/ . It is called Rescue Mission, a non-profit organization which provides food and shelter for the homeless. My roommate Stacey and I went at 5:45 this morning to volunteer with breakfast in the kitchen. We accidentally first arrived at the women's shelter. A woman answered the door and I said we were there to serve breakfast. She said "at 6 o'clock in the morning?" We then found out we had the wrong location. It all worked out though. We were a little nervous at first but once we got inside the actual building we were welcomed and put to work. We were the only volunteers that morning. I met a lot of really nice people who spend everyday volunteering to help the homeless. As we served the men the oatmeal I was welcomed with many smiles and "thank yous." I felt very blessed and privileged to be there and meet those people. They taught me a lot today that you can be happy and kind, no matter what your circumstances. It reminds me of the quote that says "You are a child of God with great strength. You have the ability to choose righteousness and happiness no matter what the circumstance." After we served breakfast they allowed us to eat with them. Stacey and I then left and told each other how blessed we are in our lives. We have been given so much and I know that I take it for granted all the time. I am grateful for opportunities to serve because it takes me away from my own life and allows me to draw closer to others, which in turn draws me closer to the Lord. We decided to go back once a week and help out. I'm excited!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Boz, I'm glad you found something to get involved with. I know being involved makes a big difference in our lives. 5:45am is super early, but what a great start to your day. You seem happy, determined, focused and excited in your life. And that's the best place to be. Now, just plan an incredible roadtrip to CO and it will be complete. :)
ReplyDelete