Pages

Monday, March 23

Have I got a passion for you Southern Utah!



Moab, Canyonland's, Arches, running, Green River, Colorado River, buses, bananas, medals, friends, Delicate Arch, road trip, Motel 6, and Spring Summit all describe (to me) my trip to Moab this past weekend. I ran in the Canyonland's 5-mile race on Saturday along the Colorado River. It was a perfect race for me--the exact length I needed to be challenged and have fun at the same time. I ended up coming in 3rd place for my division (20-24), so I was pretty excited/surprised about that :) My former roommate Mary Curtis drove down with me on Friday evening. We stayed in Green River at the Motel 6 (not recommended), and then drove down early morning on Saturday to race. I also met up with my good buddy Angelyn Bennion who went on an outdoor adventure trip with me in 2005 called Spring Summit. She is an amazing friend and a fabulous runner. We both had many memories down in Moab together so it was special reunion for both of us. I also saw Scott Olson (my sister-in-laws brother) who's wife was also racing that day. I just can't describe the feelings I have of Southern Utah. It is one of the most serene, beautiful, and adventurous places I have ever been. The spirit I feel when I am out in nature in insurmountable.






After the race we hung around for a while just listening to the music of the Sparkling Band who played covers from 70s bands. It was pretty awesome and rad if you know what I mean. We then went downtown and ate at the Slickrock Cafe and then took a look at the Tom Till Photo Gallery. His work is amazing! You can check out his website here. Mary had never been to Arches National Park so we decided to go and hike up to the Delicate Arch. If you have never been to Arches, you can check out the website HERE. There are over 2,000 cataloged arches in Arches National Park. In order to be considered an arch, an opening must measure at least three feet (in any direction). (This I did not know!). It was an awesome hike up to the Delicate Arch and we had a lot of fun (too much fun probably, prolly) taking pictures :)





We took our journey back to reality (SLC and Provo) and bade farewell. It was really fun to be with Mary again and catch up on all the latest drama of our lives. She is a very close friend and I'm so thankful for all the memories we have together. We ended our healthy adventure running/hiking trip with a run through McDonald's, Wendy's, and Arbys. I'm lovin' it!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Julie, sounds like a lot of fun. I love my family, of course, and love my life now, but I must admit that you make me sort of miss being single and going and doing all those fun things whenever I want (for the most part). But I don't miss it too much, since I have my memories of all the things I got to do. I am so grateful for the trips I took, the things I saw, the experiences I had, and I am so grateful for the years I had being single, even though the whole time I secretly hoped to get married and start a family the entire time. I'm so glad I didn't rush it, though. Starting a family is awesome, and you have so many new experiences you never had before, but taking advantage of the opportunities you have now makes the future that much better. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, oh yea B-Boppin' Boz! Looks like you had a great time! I'm still sad - the image stuck in my head of you and mary leaving my complex for a girls weekend - leaving me behind. :( But I'm glad you had fun. Way to go, Running Deer. Maybe I'll go next year, hmmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay! I made it into your blog! that was such a fun trip...next time you join us chels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful weekend JB! I love that you are keeping the Canyonlands race alive. Congratulations on 3rd place--that is REALLY something!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome trip! Southern Utah is VERY pretty. I haven't been to all of those places, but I definitely want to. I still can't believe the Olsons' are related to you, and you saw them recently! haha. Scott shoveled the snow off my driveway when we first moved to SD and Adam had to leave for training. They're a very sweet family! Hope you're doing well! I miss you!!!!

    ReplyDelete