Speaking of holidays, we didn't really get to celebrate Halloween this year because a few events happened all at once. We found out my wonderful, amazing, loving, caring, grandmother Brown has terminal liver cancer. We were absolutely shocked and heart broken about this. Spencer and I decided to drive out to California during Halloween weekend to see her one last time. The doctor said she only had 2-4 weeks to live, but now we are thinking she will have (hopefully) a lot more time than that. So when we went to visit her it was an amazingly special visit. I was able to spend hours talking, laughing, and just spending quiet moments with her. She has the most amazing spirit and such a positive outlook and attitude about life. She definitely lifted my spirits while we were there. I couldn't have asked for a more wonderful grandmother to have spent all of my life with. It will be very sad when she goes, but at least with the knowledge of the gospel I will be able to see her again.
This is a picture of my grandma and grandpa at my Sonora wedding reception December 2009. They have always been super supportive of major life events and always make the trip up to Sonora from the bay area to see us--whether it's a baseball game, drama production, a wedding, or birthday party, they are always there!
So here are some pictures of our trip to California to see my grandma. Her name is Marlene Brown...she's a twin from Massachussetts! Her twin came out to visit her the week after and they seriously are identical. It is a hoot watching them!
The three amigos: Julie, Dustin, Travis, and of course, Grandmother Marlene Brown. We all feel very close to her. It was neat to have a mini family reunion while we were there. I was able to see my uncle and aunt from Oregon as well as my great aunt and uncle Shirley and Bill. I have so many memories of being at my grandparent's house growing up for holidays, visits, etc. Their house was always so full of people and love. I will truly miss all these memories but I will also never forget them!
My dad Rick is very close to his mom. They are very much alike and you can tell how much she loves all her kids including grandkids and great grandkids.
Spencer got to know my grandma a little better this trip. I'm just grateful he got to know her before she goes because he only met my grandma Kimball one time before she passed away last July.
After we visited with my grandma we stayed the night at my aunt Sandy and uncle Floyd's house in Fremont. It was really fun seeing them again :) The next morning we visited my grandmother again. This time I was able to read her a letter out loud that I wrote to her. It was again very special and she said "you couldn't have said that anymore beautifully." One thing about my grandma is her contagious laugh and sense of humor. She is always smiling, laughing, and trying to find the fun and good out life. Even in her last days she has the most amazing attitude and faith in God. I hope to be like her someday!
When it was time to say goodbye we went out to lunch with my dad and Kris to Harry Haffbrow's German restaurant. We had an ice cube war (well, just me and my dad) and he totally won. (He always does)! We ate lots of great food and very yummy desserts and then said our goodbyes. Since my dad lives in Virginia it was really cool to see him and Kris again. Later that night we drove up to Sonora to visit my mom and Smokey and I ended up trying on all my old prom dresses (some of which still fit)! We had fun reminiscing and catching up. Later that night we spent the night at Dustin and Laura's house and played with the kids. I read the girls lots of books and played with them before it was time to go to bed. I can't wait for them to be out here the week after next! I love my family so much it was really nice to visit and catch up with so many loved ones.
On Sunday morning Spencer and I made the drive back to California. It was long, but FUN! We always have the best time on road trips. It's our tradition to always stop in Lovelock and Reno and eat at the Atlantis or Sturgeon's. We had some good conversations and drew much closer together. I guess spending 12 hours in a car together will do that to you!
And lastly, here is a picture of a beautiful clear lake I found as I was driving to Reno. California is soooo pretty! It was a quick, fast trip but definitely worth it to see my grandma. We'll have to make up our lack of Halloween celebrating next year!
No comments:
Post a Comment