
AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! I'm slowly but surely getting the hang of this teaching thing. Let me just say I've never had so much to grade in my whole life! I truly love teaching. Today there was a girl who came into my office and just started to cry. Come to find out her mom has cancer, her dad is a druggie, and her older 17 year-old sister is pregnant. What do you say to someone that has it so rough at home? Bailey (the other PE/health teacher) and I just comforted her and told her she could come hang out anytime. It's times like this that you realize and remember just how much these students need guidance and direction. It gets super busy the days I'm in the gym. I never sit down and I'm always running around like a mad woman. We are doing a unit on volleyball and most of the kids really like it. I have to remember that this is an "introduction" to team sports class so they don't have to become proficient. I teach as many technical skills as I can and then let them play in their games. The well-behaved classes are really fun to have because I get to play games with them. Man, I just love my job! Haha.
Tomorrow we start the unit on tobacco. I'm excited to actually begin teaching in health. The past couple weeks has been mostly review and studying for the body systems test. I've learned most of the students' names and they pretty much understand my rules and procedures. I can imagine it would be hard for these kids to get used to a new teacher after having Mrs. Bradford for over 4 months. I've done my best to keep to her normal routine so they aren't thrown off too much.
Joel P. Jensen is a great school with friendly faculty. Lunches are spent in the faculty lounge where we "unwind" and prepare for the rest of the 3 periods that remain after lunch. The students come from all different backgrounds, ethnicities, and religion. I never know what is going to happen next which is good since it keeps me on my toes. I'm so grateful to have this experience because I'm learning SO MUCH everyday! Hopefully I'll be able to get some good recommendations and find a more permanent position for next school year. Until then, go PANTHERS!
I'm excited for you to be having such a wonderfilled teaching experience!
ReplyDeleteI'll bet have the school has a crush on you (the boys that is).