I just wanted to share some thoughts I have felt about my running experiences so far. I am running now up to 23 miles and it is harder than I thought it was going to be. Those last few miles really wear and tear on your body and when it feels like I can not run any farther, I always can push myself to keep going. This past Tuesday I ran 13 miles up the AF canyon and back with Marci and then I ran the last 10 on my own. I felt really good when I was running in the canyon because it is absolutely gorgeous and I had a buddy to push me. When we got to her car she left and I kept running. The last 10 miles were very difficult. My feet and knees were in a lot of pain, but I kept pushing through it. I knew it wouldn't last forever. I knew it would be rewarding at the end. It is an amazing thing doing/accomplishing a goal that you have worked so hard for for several months. I never thought I would be able to train for a marathon, but here I am. Am I fast? No. Am I tired? Yes. Is it fun? Sometimes and a lot of times yes ;) While I run I have a lot of time to think about my life. I feel extremely grateful that I have a healthy body that is ABLE to run and enjoy life to its fullest. Today I went to a spin/cycle class and again I was overwhelmed at how blessed I am for my perfect, healthy body. Not saying that I have the perfect body, but it is in perfect condition.
When I was running my 23 miles I saw a girl who had a disability when she walked. She had a great big smile on her face when I passed her and I felt sorry that she couldn't have full use of her legs. I do not EVER want to take what I have for granted. I want to run, bike, hike, swim, play basketball, volleyball, tennis and never stop because it makes me feel so alive.
I have a month and a half until my marathon. I have to run one more long run of 26 miles before the big day (and I'm not looking forward to it!) I am grateful that I have pushed through with my training and have not given up. There have been times when running seemed boring, uninviting, and many times I haven't wanted to do it. But thanks to the support of my loving husband and running buddies I have been able to accomplish many great and hard things. I truly love running for the sense of accomplishment and empowerment it gives to me. I love feeling in shape and able to do things without getting very winded. Thanks for listening everyone. I hope that my marathon is somehow a motivator for you to do things that seem impossible. If you set your mind to it, you can seriously do anything!

I totally hope to do a marathon someday! Go Julie! I should have done it before I had kids . . . on the other hand that would have been while I was still finishing up my bachelors' degree. That would have been way to busy.
ReplyDeleteJulie - you're doing awesome! I'm especially impressed by your training plan that goes over 20 miles before the big race! It does feel so great to be so healthy and fit strong. I love it. And from my half marathon experience I know that after you run that race you realize how the training and pain and long runs really ARE worth it (I hope you feel the same way after the marathon! You will, I've heard many testimonials)
ReplyDeleteWow! That is awesome...I have no desire to ever run a marathon but I completely admire those that train and run them. It is so intense! Hope you guys are doing well!
ReplyDeleteYou inspire me, Julie! I'm grateful for you as my buddy. :D Running with you is a treat. I absolutely know I can complete a crazy 13 mile run when I know I've got you by my side.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh I LOVE this post! It's exactly how I feel! I have had those exact same thoughts while running. I'm so grateful that I have the ability to run, even if it's hard and horrible sometimes! haha. You're so awesome. See you at the finish line!
ReplyDeleteJulie, you're my hero! I can't imagine running for that long! Some day we should train for a marathon (it'll have to be in a while though..can't really run right now)
ReplyDelete